Thursday, September 27, 2012

Amy's 8th birthday, rainbows, and snow

Yep - yesterday was officially Amy's 8th birthday. Can't believe that our baby is now 8 years old...where have those years gone? I know everybody says stuff like this - but it really does seem like just yesterday that she was born! She has brought so much laughter, smiles, and joy to our life - and even though they have gone quickly, I wouldn't trade a single day of the last 8 years of enjoying her!
I took some more pictures later of our family party - cake and presents and such (I will hopefully get those ready to post later today!) This was the first birthday celebrated in our new home - so I wanted so badly to make it a special day for her! I'm glad to say she went to bed happy, so I'm gonna call it a success! 
This past week since we have gotten home has been filled with little scattered rain and thunderstorms. I LOVE it - and have been happy for the higher humidity while I have been working on canning...usually canning dried my hands out something fierce, and that was in Washington with high humidity. I was afraid of what my hands would look like after a week canning here, but so far so good. I think I owe it to the higher humidity - thank you Lord!

So with all the storms, this view out our living room window (I know...gorgeous, right?) - has pretty much included a rainbow every late afternoon and evening. I think I'm gonna call this my rainbow spot! This particular rainbow was a couple nights ago, and the picture doesn't entirely do it justice. It was the FATTEST rainbow I have EVER seen! Seriously - I think it was double the normal width of a rainbow. BEATUIFUL!!! 
Then the other little thing we have seen out this window several times a day, is this little antelope! I kind of feel sorry for him...one of his horns is missing! He is always alone when he stops by, and I can't help but want to take care of him! He kindly complied with my wishes this evening, and moved toward the rainbow so I could get his picture with it...and notice the little double rainbow off to the left? Yep...it was mighty pretty...
Then after the rainbow, the clouds covered the hills...dark and stormy...
...and as the clouds cleared...I saw SNOW on the top of the mountains! 
YIKES! I'm both excited and scared for snow to hit here - but I kind of feel like I am just getting in the swing of enjoying fall - and now it wants to disappear on me!  I think it is because we just started school this week, as well as canning season. So even though it is the end of September, it kind of feels like it should be the beginning of the month! I guess I'm just behind a little is all... 
Sorry these have been few and far between! Being gone for a week, and then coming back with one day to unpack before tackling both canning and schoolwork - as well as birthday parties and continued house projects has provided a LOT of busy days! The last couple of days I feel like I have been on my feet all day, and dropped onto the couch to relax and watch a movie before heading to bed. Now that I have accomplished the 21 quarts of applesauce, and 14 quarts of pears I set out to can - hopefully life will slow down a little. (Yeah, right...who am I kidding, huh?) I do still have a couple boxes of apples to work on, but those will be made into apple pies to freeze, or if I get lazy - just peeled, sliced, and frozen for crisp and pies to be made later. We'll see how it goes...


1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Amy!

    Oh goodness....your view is GORGEOUS!!!! You're really making me want to move to WY! LOL

    ReplyDelete